I don't know about you, but I am a total fashion nerd and can not walk passed any rack of clothing without touching it. I have always been obsessed with the feel of different fabrics… That’s probably the reason why I was so interested in fashion when I was growing up, and why I chose to go to university to study fashion and textiles. I have been working in the fashion industry since I was just 21 and have developed a keen sense of how garments should FEEL on the body, and how the QUALITY of particular fabrics can affect that. These days, when I shop for clothes, the feel and quality of the fabric are truly just as important to me as the color and print.
There are so many different fabrics with different characteristics that it can be overwhelming. From silks to wools, cotton to linen, there are so many different textures available for making clothing! Some fabrics are lightweight and cool while others are heavy and warm. Some fabrics drape beautifully while others cling to your skin like a second skin. It can be difficult to find the right fabric to suit your needs perfectly but it’s oh so worth it when you do…
I know that when you are shopping online it’s hard to tell the FEEL of a fabric! But I’m here to help, friends… Here’s a list of 8 fabrics that you might come across when online shopping and a quick guide to how you can expect them to feel against your skin:
- Wool: Feels a bit “hairy” and can often need a lining so as not to feel itchy against your skin. Keeps you warm and drapes well on your body. May require dry cleaning.
- Silk: Feels luxurious and, well, silky. Sometimes confused with polyester satin but true silk satin should not feel as cold against your skin. Most often requires hand washing or dry cleaning.
- Polyester: Not as warm as natural fabrics and does not breathe, so most often feels like you are wearing a plastic bag. It is durable and crease resistant but definitely a sweat fest in the tropics!.
- Viscose aka rayon: Drapes well on the body but feels odly hard when damp. Heavier than polyester and definitely not as breathable as cotton. Careful, it shrinks!!
- Crepe: Can be wool or polyester so the feel will depend on the fabric origin and can be very different thicknesses. Careful of pulling a rogue thread with Crepe, it will likely cause an ugly line that is impossible to remove.
- Chiffon: Sheer, lightweight, and very soft. Can be very “staticky” in dry climates and frays very easily but can make some gorgeous scarves!
- Cotton: Feels crisp and lovely. Breathes in the heat and your skin will thank you for wearing it. Cotton makes the best everyday clothing and is super easy to care for!
- Linen: Feels rustic and can drape even better than cotton on the skin. Makes lovely summer garments as it breathes beautifully in the heat. Does crease easily but creased linen clothing is kinda a vibe!
Now, I know you, friend! I know that you are an island girl at heart and absolutely love the idea of traveling to the tropics and hanging out under palm trees with a frozen drink in hand! You schedule your island vacations during the winter months as a break from the dreary cold weather and seasonal depression. But the climate change from the snowy USA to the tropical Caribbean is so extreme that it’s not always easy to have FUN because the heat turns you into… well… a hot mess! I know this feeling all too well and after all my years living in the Caribbean, I learned what fabrics and styles were best suited to the tropics.
That’s what has led me to design our BRAND NEW 2023 Coconut Tank Cotton Top. This easy, breezy sleeveless top couldn’t be any cuter and (if you’re asking me) it’s the coolest top in our whole collection! Made from 100% breathable fine cotton voile, which is ultra soft and feels like silk on the skin! The super lightweight fabric is crease-free, dries quickly in the island breeze, and breaths so that the heat can escape from your skin. The stunningly vibrant colors and palm tree print makes it a perfect addition to your vacay packing and adds a touch of island glamour to your look! Pairs well with our ruffle skirt & flip flops or white linen pants and a chunky heel for the evening.
I’ve definitely reached that point in my life where I no longer settle for fashion pieces that are uncomfortable for the sake of a pretty pattern. I demand quality and vibrance, but I also know what I am looking for when it comes to fabric. And you can too, my island friends! When you shop with West Indies Wear, you can expect to have it all. The vibrance, the pretty patterns, the island style aaaaaand the comfort! Keen to learn more about our new collection? Stay glued to your inbox, friends because the Coconut Cotton Tank is dropping OH SO SOON!
One love island friends,